Area health care students awarded scholarships by Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff
Fall River, MA – The Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff has announced the recipients of this year’s scholarship program for students pursuing higher education in health and medicine in the 2023-2024 academic year.
The awards are part of a longstanding annual program established by the hospital’s medical staff in recognition of area students’ outstanding academic achievements and a demonstrated commitment to health care professions.
Recipients of this year’s $3,000 awards are:
Saint Anne’s Hospital Family Awards:
- Alexander Amaral, of Fall River: Enrolled at Bridgewater State University as a health science major, Alexander plans to pursue certification as a physical therapy assistant.
- Michelle Franco, of Dartmouth: Enrolled in the Medical Laboratory Science program at University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Michelle plans to pursue a career in obstetrics and gynecology.
- Asia Jenkins, of Fall River: Enrolled in Bristol Community College’s nursing program, Asia plans to pursue a career as a registered nurse. She currently works as an Emergency Department technician at Saint Anne’s Hospital and as a phlebotomist at Morton Hospital, Taunton.
- Gabrielle May Halliwell, of Dighton: Gabrielle is enrolled in the nursing program at Salve Regina University, Newport, RI.
- Jayleen Hernandez-Araujo, of Fall River: Enrolled in the nursing program at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Gabrielle plans to pursue a career as a registered nurse in obstetrical or pediatric nursing.
- Ethan Medeiros, of Fall River: Ethan is enrolled in the nursing program at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth toward his goal of becoming a registered nurse. He is currently working as a certified nursing assistant at the Catholic Memorial Home in Fall River.
For many years, the Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff has provided scholarships for students pursuing higher education in health and medicine. Three scholarships are designated for members of the hospital family, including hospital employees, family members of employees, or members of medical staff families, who are entering or pursuing a degree in nursing, allied health, or other health care professions. Three additional scholarships are designated for members of the general community who are entering or pursuing a degree in nursing, allied health, or other health care profession.
For additional information about the annual scholarship program, call the Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff Office, 508-674-5600, extension 2002.
About Saint Anne’s Hospital
Founded by the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation in 1906, Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a full-service, acute care Catholic hospital with 211 beds and satellite locations in Dartmouth, Attleboro, Swansea, and New Bedford, Massachusetts. A member of Steward Health Care, Saint Anne’s provides nationally recognized patient- and family-centered inpatient care and outpatient clinical services to patients from surrounding Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities. In addition to national recognition for cancer care, orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, bariatric surgery, stroke care, and patient experience, Saint Anne’s is one of just 20 U.S. hospitals to have earned 23 “Straight A’s” from the Leapfrog Group for patient safety since 2012. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.