Holiday Giving at Saint Anne’s Hospital
Fall River, MA - Long known for their support of our community, Saint Anne’s Hospital employees and medical staff have stepped up to meet the needs of deserving families and individuals during this holiday season.
Some are basic needs, such as food and clothing. Others are special touches that make the holidays meaningful for families and individuals who might otherwise go without.
Here's a sample of some of the many projects undertaken by the Saint Anne's Hospital community:
Hospital-wide charitable outreach
Saint Anne's Hospital has sponsored or participated in several community outreach initiatives this holiday season.
- The hospital’s ninth annual Adopt-a-Family holiday program supports the families of patients and employees who are nominated by hospital staff. Many of the recipients have suffered financial hardship; disasters, such as house fires; loss of a parent; or other catastrophic events. The program is administered by the Dominican Sisters’ Marie Poussepin Outreach Ministry, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, whose year-round mission is to provide emergency assistance with food, taxi and pharmacy needs. This year, the Adopt-a-Family program provided Walmart gift cards to 38 families representing 118 individuals so that they may purchases gifts, food, and other holiday necessities. The fund is supported by donations, many of which come from employees and other members of the hospital community,
- The annual campaign for United Way, which ended November 30, netted more than $4,400 in donations that will support United Way communities served by Saint Anne’s. While the hospital meets many of our communities’ health and wellness needs, the specific missions of United Way agencies and organizations allow them to bring special expertise to those in need.
- A Winter Wear Drive, coordinated by the hospital’s Mission Committee and Employee Wellness Committee, is gratefully accepting donations of new and gently used winter coats, hats and mittens as part of a community drive sponsored by the United Way. Donations will benefit towns and cities served by Saint Anne’s. The drive will accept donations through mid-January.
Departments reaching out
Many hospital units and departments at the hospital’s main campus and satellite sites have conducted holiday initiatives to fill the needs of the community and fellow co-workers. Here are some of the many projects undertaken by generous staff::
- In lieu of an employee holiday gift exchange, the hospital’s Ambulatory Surgery Center in Dartmouth is “adopting” the family of a child who was fostered by a staff member. They are providing four young girls with Christmas presents and a supermarket gift card.
- The Saint Anne’s Hospital Center for Pain Management sponsored a Thanksgiving food drive that benefited the Westport Food Bank and adoption of two families. The staff donated food items along with monetary donations and purchased turkeys and other Thanksgiving items. The staff delivered six large boxes of food to the Westport Food Bank. The Pain Management team also contributed to the hospital's "Winter Wear Drive" with the purchase of warm jackets and accessories.
- The Sacred Heart Telemetry Unit conducted a Thanksgiving food drive to support outreach by a local parish. In addition, for Christmas, the staff has “adopted” a colleague whose family experienced the loss of a parent this past year.
- The family of late Saint Anne’s Hospital Regional Cancer Center nurse Rachel Portelance donated ten Thanksgiving dinners for distribution to the center’s patients. Rachel’s husband Dan, a culinary arts instructor, and his team of students prepared the meals in Rachel’s memory.
- The ICU staff purchased sweat pants and warm winter wear that can be used by hospital patients in need.
Thank you to all whose contributions have lightened the load and lighted the spirit of so many!