Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff and Multicultural Health Committee award $12,000 in scholarships to area health care students
Fall River, MA – Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff and the hospital’s Multicultural Health Committee have announced recipients of this year’s scholarship awards for students enrolled in health care programs for the 2019-2020 academic year.
The Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff awarded $3,000 scholarships to three students who are pursuing higher education in health care:
• Sydney Garcia, a graduate of Somerset-Berkley High School, enrolled at University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with plans to major in nursing. She received a John Arcuri, MD, Scholarship Award, given in honor of the longtime chief of emergency medicine at Saint Anne’s Hospital.
• Hannah Spalding, a physician documentation assistant at Saint Anne’s Hospital who is enrolled at University of Massachusetts Medical School. She also received a John Arcuri, MD, Scholarship Award.
• Joshua Dore, of Tiverton, enrolled at the University of Rhode Island with a major in kinesiology and plans to pursue a career as a physician assistant. He received the Carmela Sofia, MD, Scholarship Award, given in honor of the longstanding Saint Anne’s Hospital surgeon.
The Saint Anne’s Hospital Multicultural Health Committee awarded $1,000 scholarships to three bilingual/bicultural students who are pursuing higher education in health care. All are recent graduates of Somerset-Berkley High School:
• Caitlin Lourenco, enrolled at Northeastern University, with a major in biochemistry and plans to pursue medicine
• Jillian Oliveira, also enrolled at Northeastern University, with plans to pursue medicine
• Santiago Abrill Zegarra, enrolled at University of Massachusetts Amherst, with plans to pursue medicine, specializing in anesthesiology.
Since its inception in 1987, the Multicultural Health Committee’s scholarship program has awarded more than $70,000 to students who are enrolled in health career education and have demonstrated leadership, bilingual and/or bicultural skills, community involvement, and financial need.
About Saint Anne’s Hospital
Founded by the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation in 1906, Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a full-service, acute care Catholic hospital with 211 beds and satellite locations in Attleboro, Swansea, Dartmouth, New Bedford, and Stoughton, Massachusetts.
A member of Steward Health Care, Saint Anne’s provides nationally recognized patient- and family-centered inpatient care and outpatient clinical services to patients from surrounding Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities. In addition to the Patient Safety Excellence Award and Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades, recent recognitions include the Leapfrog Group's “Straight A’s” for patient safety since 2012 and the 2018 Top Hospital award, plus Women’s Choice Awards as one of America’s Best Hospitals for orthopedic care and cancer care.
In addition to comprehensive diagnostic, emergency, medical, and surgical services, Saint Anne’s key services include robotic-assisted surgical capabilities; Saint Anne’s Hospital Regional Cancer Center; the Center for Orthopedic Excellence; ambulatory surgery centers in Attleboro and Dartmouth; the Center for Pain Management; and inpatient geriatric psychiatry services.