Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff establishes scholarships for health care students
Two 2014 awards to honor John A. Arcuri, MD, former chair of emergency medicine at Saint Anne’s Hospital
Fall River, MA – To recognize outstanding academic achievements and a demonstrated commitment to health care, Saint Anne’s Hospital medical staff has announced the availability of two $3,000 scholarships for the 2014-15 academic year for students pursuing a health career.
This year’s John A. Arcuri, MD, Scholarship Awards will recognize the many contributions Dr. Arcuri made during his career at Saint Anne’s Hospital.
Dr. Arcuri (right) served in medical and leadership roles at Saint Anne’s for 22 years before until recently stepping down as chair of emergency medicine. Instrumental in the hospital’s growth and leadership in emergency medicine, Dr. Arcuri served as president, vice president and secretary/treasurer of the hospital’s medical staff and interim vice president of medical affairs; chair of numerous board committees; and a leadership role in the establishment of Saint Anne’s emergency medicine residency program for emergency medicine residents, emergency medical services (EMS) professionals and nurse practitioners. He also served as co-medical director of Fall River Emergency Medical Services for many years.
One of this year’s two $3,000 scholarships is designated for a Saint Anne’s Hospital employee or family member, or family member of the Saint Anne’s Hospital medical staff. The second is designated for a Greater Fall River area student not associated with Saint Anne’s Hospital.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Greater Fall River residents must be a resident of the Greater Fall River area, including Assonet, Berkley, Dighton, Fall River, Freetown, Rehoboth, Swansea, Somerset, and Westport, and Tiverton and Little Compton, RI.
- Saint Anne’s Hospital candidates must be a Saint Anne’s Hospital employee, family member of hospital employee, or medical staff family member. There is no residency requirement for this award.
- Be entering or pursuing a degree in nursing, allied health, or other health care profession at an accredited college, university, technical school, etc.
- Be a graduating high school senior or currently enrolled student.
- Complete the “2014 John A. Arcuri, MD, Memorial Scholarship Award” application.
- Be able to use the award during the 2014-2015 academic year.
Deadline for submission of scholarship applications is Thursday, May 1, 2014, at 4 p.m.
For more information: Call Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff Office, 508-674-5600, ext, 2002.
About Saint Anne’s Hospital – Saint Anne’s Hospital is a community hospital with comprehensive inpatient, outpatient, and emergency care services, serving adults and children from southeastern Massachusetts and nearby Rhode Island at its main campus in Fall River and its community satellites. Founded in 1906 by the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation, Saint Anne's Hospital is a member of Steward Health Care, the largest fully integrated community care organization in New England. Saint Anne’s has been recognized time and again for quality, safety and service by such organizations as The Joint Commission, Healthgrades, The Leapfrog Group, and Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Steward Health Care System LLC is the largest integrated community care organization in New England which combines more than 3,000 physicians, 11 acute care hospitals, managed care, insurance programs, home care, an imaging operation, and a number of other post-acute services, to provide the most cost effective and highest quality of integrated patient care. Further information is available at www.steward.org.