Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff and Multicultural Health Committee award scholarships to area health care students
Fall River, MA – Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff and the hospital’s Multicultural Health Committee have announced recipients of this year’s scholarship awards for students enrolled in health care programs for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff awarded $3,000 scholarships to these students who are pursuing education in health care:
- Alyssa Pimentel, of Westport, was awarded the Harvey Reback, M.D., Scholarship for students in the community. She is pursuing her associate’s degree in nursing at Bristol Community College.
- Kherri-Lynn Rego, RN, BSN, of Westport, was awarded the Majed Mouded, M.D., Scholarship for members of the hospital community. Rego, who is orthopedic nurse navigator for the Saint Anne’s Hospital Center for Orthopedic Excellence, is pursuing her master of science in nursing degree at UMass-Dartmouth.
The Saint Anne’s Hospital Multicultural Health Committee awarded $1,000 scholarships to these bilingual/bicultural students pursuing education in health care:
- Melanie Franco, of New Bedford, is pursuing her doctor of pharmacy degree at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. She is fluent in Portuguese.
- Anja Katrin Santos, RN, an employee of Saint Anne’s Hospital, is pursuing her degree in nursing at Southern New Hampshire University. A resident of Assonet, she is fluent in German and Portuguese.
- Alyssa Soares, of Somerset, is pursuing her doctor of pharmacy degree at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. Her second language is Tagalog.
The Multicultural Health Committee also awarded a $500 scholarship to Eunice Franco, a member of the Saint Anne’s Hospital Interpreter Services team, who is pursuing National Medical Interpreter certification through the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters. A resident of New Bedford, Franco is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish.
Since its inception in 1987, the Multicultural Health Committee’s scholarship program has awarded more than $67,000 to students who are enrolled in health career education and have demonstrated leadership, bilingual and/or bicultural skills, community involvement, and financial need.
About Saint Anne’s Hospital
Founded by the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation in 1906, Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a full-service, acute care Catholic hospital with 185 beds and satellite locations in Attleboro, Swansea, Dartmouth, New Bedford, and Stoughton, Massachusetts. A member of Steward Health Care, Saint Anne’s provides nationally recognized patient- and family-centered inpatient care (including all private rooms) and outpatient clinical services to patients from surrounding Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities. In addition to comprehensive diagnostic, medical, surgical, and emergency services, Saint Anne’s key services include the Joint Commission-certified Center for Orthopedic Excellence; Saint Anne’s Hospital Regional Cancer Center; ambulatory surgery centers in Attleboro and Dartmouth; the Center for Pain Management in Swansea and Dartmouth; and geriatric psychiatry services at locations in Fall River and Stoughton.